Thursday, February 19, 2009

Okay, Amazon. You win THIS time...

Just as I was about to smugly declare that I couldn't remember the last time I even bought anything online (even without online promotions)...that's when Amazon reared its ugly head.

There it was, a message in my e-mail box as if they knew what the blog topic was going to be. The subject line declared innocently, "Amazon recommends 'Caroline in the City, Second Season' and more..." This was a TV show from 13 years ago that I loved, and it was impossibly hard to find. Six months ago, I did find the first season by searching on Amazon, and I put the second season on my wish list. So, I made it easy for them.

I clicked on the link and filled in my info, and on the way through this process, I had two more offers: The first one was if I signed up for a free trial membership of Amazon Prime, I would get free shipping. I didn't even stick around long enough to find out that the little program was all about, because I do not like signing up for things and having to remember to cancel them later, once they are no longer free. Plus, for me, free shipping is not enough incentive because I'm not in a hurry and will pay a couple bucks for the slowest shipping they have.

The second offer was for an Amazon credit card, and if I applied, I would get a $30 credit on my order which would bring the total down to almost nothing. (I suppose the combination of both these offers would have made my purchase "free"). But I categorically decline all credit card offers because I like to shop for my own credit card terms (I worked for a credit card company for 5 years, so I'm very specific about what I want).

So, the total for this order was something like $32.00, which was both Cheap (Commerce) and Convenient. But I didn't get to feel like part of a Community like I would if I bought something at Powell's (of whom I'm a fan on Facebook). But I rationalized that Powell's doesn't sell DVD's, so I have to buy from the evil corporation who knows what I want.

1 comment:

Brian said...

The devil made me do it. That's you excuse?